Competition to be held Friday, November 8th, beginning at 6 p.m.
This year marks the fifth year of the Viola Celebration Ensemble Competition. This event is meant to provide a fun opportunity for students to prepare and perform viola ensemble music with friends and studio mates in a positive, friendly competition. Viola Celebration attendees are not required to participate in the ensemble competition.
There are two categories: Pre-College Ensembles and Collegiate Ensembles.
Winners will be featured on the Viola Celebration Faculty Recital and have their names engraved on the Viola Celebration trophy. This is a traveling trophy. The winning ensembles will host the trophy in their home studio through the summer of 2020.
Any size of viola ensemble can enter. Only one person is allowed per part except for the Un-Competition Ensemble. Age requirements are based on each participant's age as of November 8, 2019, and must be verified by submitting proof of age (photocopy of driver’s license, passport, or birth certificate) with payment of fees.
- All ensemble members must be under the age of 19 and not yet graduated from high school.
- There is no upper age limit at this time; however, please understand the competition is meant for students or recent graduates. Ensembles may include younger ensemble members (those under 19).
- Two contrasting works of approximately 10 minutes duration, total. Longer works can be prepared, but the judges will not hear the entire work. Multi-movement works are considered one piece; repertoire by two separate composers should be prepared. Participants should bring 3 copies of their scores to the audition, with accurate performance timings noted on the title page.
- At least one work no longer than 10 minutes. Longer works can be prepared, but the judges will not hear the entire work. Participants should bring 3 copies of their score to the audition, with accurate performance timings noted on the title page.
Deadlines and Entry Requirements
To enter the Viola Celebration Ensemble competition each member of your ensemble must:
- Submit an online Viola Celebration registration form with your desire to participate in the competition and ensemble name indicated on that form.
- All members must pay their registration fees by October 31.
- If participating in a prize awarding category, each participant should submit proof of age (a photocopy of a driver’s license, passport or birth certificate) by email to email@example.com.
- The competition will be held Friday November 8, beginning at 6pm.
- Groups will be emailed their competition time by Friday, November 1.
- Each ensemble will receive 10 minutes of audition time. If prepared repertoire totals more than 10 minutes, the ensemble should be prepared to be stopped and asked to continue to their second piece at any time.
- Ensembles should provide three copies of their scores for jury members. Performance times of each piece should be indicated on the score.
- Written comments will be provided to all who perform.
- Winners will be announced at the Welcome Address on Saturday, November 9.
Pre-College & Collegiate Divisions:
- UT Viola Celebration Traveling Trophy, engraved with ensemble name & studio. The winning ensemble will retain the trophy through August, 2020.
- Performance on the Faculty Recital at 8pm on Saturday, November 9.
- Gift Certificates for the winning groups to music stores.
- Additional prizes to be announced soon.