Skip to content

Undergraduate Advising

How do I get advised?

AdvisingAll music majors are assigned a music faculty advisor upon their entrance into the program or in the first semester of residence.  Students are encouraged to schedule an advising conference with their faculty advisor each semester they are enrolled in school.  Most academic advising is accomplished through the student's faculty advisor, but, when necessary, academic questions may be directed to the Associate Director for Undergraduate Studies.

The advising conference should provide: 

  • A thorough consideration of all aspects of the student's educational experience at the University.
  • A review and evaluation of the student's overall progress toward a degree. Students are encouraged to bring a recent DARS report with them.
  • A detailed outline of the courses for which the student is to register in the succeeding semester.
  • Answers to questions the student may have concerning policies, degree requirements, and/or the music profession.

At the end of the advising conference the student will be released for registration.  The student can then register via MyUTK. 

Any questions concerning this process should be directed to the Associate Director for Undergraduate Studies for the School of Music  or Arts & Sciences Advising (313 Ayers Hall).

See Also: Academic Calendar for important dates for registration

Course Rotation

See the current course rotations HERE. Find each area/department by clicking on the appropriate tab at the bottom of the Google doc.

Who is my Advisor?

Music majors and minors are advised by members of the music faculty. You are assigned an advisor according to your major ad major instrument. (See the list below.) If you are a music education major, please see a music education advisor.

Brass Katie Johnson
Jazz Mark Boling and Keith Brown
Keyboard David Brunell
Music Ed - Instrumental David Royse
Music Ed - Vocal Loneka Willkinson
Musicology Rachel Golden, Les Gay
Percussion Brendan McConville
Strings Hillary Herndon
Theory/Comp Brendan McConville
Voice Andrew Skoog
Woodwind Victor Chavez
If you can't contact your advisor, please see the Associate Director for Undergraduate Studies for help.

Do I need to be advised each semester?

The official rule on who needs to be advised is found in the Undergraduate Catalog:

Prior to advance registration, all degree-seeking students who have earned fewer than 30 hours at UT, are on Academic Probation, or have not declared a major within a specific college (exploratory, pre-major, interest major) are required to meet with an advisor during each main term of the academic year (i.e., during fall and spring). All other students are required to consult with an advisor for a substantial conference during a designated term each year. However, students are encouraged to consult with a college or major advisor at any point during a term or academic year. Students whose ID numbers end in an even digit are required to meet with an advisor during fall semester. Students whose ID numbers end in an odd digit are required to meet with an advisor during spring semester.

I am having a problem registering for lessons, theory or piano class. What do I do?

If you get an error when registering for applied music, theory, or piano class, it may be because your major is not declared as music. You can check your own profile on the computer or check with your advisor to see if you are a declared music major or minor. If you are not declared as a major, check with the Music Office to change your major.

What is a DARS report?

The DARS report is an evaluation of how a student stands with respect to meeting the requirements for graduation.  If there are items on the report that students believe to be inaccurate or confusing, it is recommended that they see their advisor.  Correcting the record will prevent problems in verifying the completion of degree requirements.  Students can access their DARS report through MyUTK.

What do I need to do to remain a music major?

In order to remain a Music Major, students must maintain progress toward the degree by taking at least one course required in the degree plan (other than applied lessons or ensemble) each semester.

The School of Music faculty have outlined the proper order in which the required music courses should be taken. This order was not arbitrarily derived, but was based upon a pedagogical sequence of knowledge and skills over the course of study.  The student should consult this plan, listed under Majors A-Z of The Undergraduate Catalog

Need more information?

There is lots of information online at the Arts and Sciences advising web site. There you will find more information on AP/IB/CLEP credit, calculating GPAs, removing high school deficiencies, transfer credits, petitions and other forms, study abroad,  and the Hope scholarship.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.