Auditions for entry to the School of Music for Fall 2017 will be held:
- February 10, 2018: Undergraduate
- February 17, 2018: Undergraduate
Auditions for the Pride of the Southland Marching Band - Non-music majors ONLY:
- February 24, 2018: Non-music majors
- March 3, 2018: Non-music majors
Students must audition to be accepted into the School of Music and to earn a spot in the UT Trumpet Studio. Auditions are generally 10 minutes, and they are your chance to show us your best playing and your best self. Choose your audition repertoire carefully, with the help of your private teacher.
Required Audition Material
- Lyrical piece (slower music in singing style that will show your musicality.)
- Technical piece (a faster piece that shows your ability to articulate and finger quickly and accurately, and your agility on the trumpet.)
- All major scales and chromatic scale.
- Solos---Concerto movements by Haydn, Hummel, Arutunian
- Sonata movements by Hindemith, Halsey Stevens, Kennan
- Any solos by Barat, Balay, Ropartz Andante and Allegro, Goedicke
- Concert Etude, Handel Aria con Variazione
- Etudes by Arban, Brandt, Charlier, Concone, Getchell
Other repertoire may be perfectly acceptable. If you have questions about audition repertoire, feel free to contact Arthur Zanin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Tips for Success
- Take private lessons on a regular, long-term basis, starting at least a year---or better yet more—before your audition. This is the single most important step you can take to ensure your success on your instrument.
- Choose repertoire, in consultation with your teacher, that shows off your best qualities as a trumpet player. Choose music you enjoy, that is well suited to your ability.
- Dress appropriately. Be comfortable (avoid tight clothing and extremely high heels) and tasteful.
- Show us your eagerness to learn.
- Relax! Take deep breaths, and realize that everyone auditioning feels nervous. Be proud of how well you have prepared yourself and your music.
- Be prepared to tell us about yourself. We will ask you questions about your life goals, your musical study so far, etc.
Remember---your audition doesn't have to be perfect----it just has to indicate to us your enthusiasm for music, your good musicianship, and your potential to succeed at the demands of study at the University of Tennessee School of Music.