Bachelor of Music Degree – Theory/Composition Concentration
Since the Bachelor of Music with an emphasis in theory and composition is a combined degree, students take courses in both areas in addition to the core music and university requirements. In the junior and senior years, students will take courses specific to their track (theory or composition).
Students in both tracks will take:
- Sound recording techniques
- Music notation
- Form and Analysis
- Practicum (tutoring other music theory students; assisting theory/comp faculty)
In addition, students take composition track courses in:
- sound synthesis
- composition lessons
- Composition seminar (Solo class)
- Senior recital (30 minute presentation of your compositions)
More information on the BM Theory/comp major-composition track can be found in the UT catalog.
Students in the theory track take courses in:
- Composition lessons
- Choral Arranging
- Theory pedagogy
- Special topics in analysis
- Independent study: senior thesis
More information about the BM Theory/comp major – theory track can be found in the UT catalog.