Skip to content

Assistantships,  Scholarships & Competitions

Graduate Teaching Assistantships

The School of Music offers a number of graduate teaching assistantships each academic year on the basis of School needs.

The appointment is subject to satisfactory performance of duties and compliance with the Standards of Conduct as published in The University of Tennessee Student Handbook Hilltopics.

Assistantships carry a waiver of the university tuition, medical coverage, and a monthly stipend.

Graduate Teaching Assistantship contracts begin on August 1 and GTAs are expected to arrive in Knoxville prepared to work during the first week of August.  Additionally, all Graduate Teaching Assistants whose native language is not English must take the OPIc examination as an administrative requirement.  These GTAs must be in Knoxville the first week of August to prepare and take this examination. GTAs are also expected to be in Knoxville several days prior to the start of classes in January.

Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTA) Available For The Next Academic Year

Application Process

  • The Application process is explained on the Auditions & Admission page
  • Assistantship awards are usually announced in early April.
  • Satisfactory progress toward the student's degree program is required for maintenance of assistantship. 


The School of Music has a number of scholarships available to graduate students. An application for assistantship is also treated as an application for a scholarship.

Students receiving scholarships must apply to have them renewed each year.  Students should complete the Scholarship Renewal Form by February 15 of each year.

Fellowships, Loans, Veterans Assistance

In addition to assistantships and scholarships, the Graduate School offers several fellowships for which graduate students in music may apply. Application forms are available from the Office of Graduate Admissions and Records, 218 Student Services Building (865-974-3251) and online.

Applicants may also contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (865-974-3131) for information regarding other scholarships, employment, and loans. Veterans and widows or children of certain deceased or disabled veterans who have been admitted to a degree program may apply for benefits by contacting the Veterans Affairs Office, 209 Student Services Building, (865) 974-1507.


Graduate students can participate in the following competitions:

Early Termination/Withdrawal

If a graduate teaching assistant is terminated or withdraws from a program prior to the end of the semester, the student will be responsible for payment of tuition and other fees from the termination/withdrawal date until the end of the semester.  The responsibility for paying tuition and fees will apply to all students, including those who have tuition waivers during the semester in which they are terminated/withdraw early.  Please see the graduate catalog for additional information about early termination/withdrawal at: and  If a GTA is considering early withdrawal, they should contact the Bursar’s office to inquire about the financial ramifications for early withdrawal.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.