This program is designed for students who intend to pursue careers as conductors of school or professional instrumental ensembles. Graduates of this program are qualified to pursue doctoral work in conducting.
- Prior to applying to the School of Music and the University of Tennessee, please contact James Fellenbaum, Director of Orchestras, at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine:
- If there is an opening in the Orchestral Conducting Program for the following academic year.
- The specifications for the required Pre-Screen video submission.
- The availability of an assistantship.
- The date for the live audition and interview (upon passing the Pre-Screen).
- Pre-Screen deadline is December 1st.
- Upon passing the Pre-screen round, a live audition and interview are required for admission.
- Applicants should have completed a Bachelor's degree in music from an accredited institution with course work equivalent to that in Bachelor's degrees conferred by the University of Tennessee, including conducting study. Some practical experience as a conductor is also required.
- Diagnostic examinations in music theory, ear training, and musicology must be taken by all entering students before registering for courses. If deficiencies are detected, specific courses may be recommended or required.
|Music Bibliography||Mus Gen 510||3|
|Music Theory Elective||Mus Theory 500 level or
Music General 520: Styles
|Analytical Techniques||Mus Thry 520||3|
|Musicology and Literature 6 chosen from:
Band History and Literature I II
History of Symphonic Literature
Mus Inst 580, 581
Mus His 500 level
|Advanced Instrumental Conducting||8|
|+Recitative for Instrumental Conductors||Mus Inst 583||1|
|++Practicum in Instrumental Conducting||Mus Inst 584||1|
|Instrumental Conducting Performance||Mus Inst 595||1|
|Ensemble||Mus Ens 500 level||4|
*Ensemble hours may not be counted as Music Electives.
+Orchestral Track students only.
++Wind Conducting Track students are required to take 2 semesters of Mus Inst 584.
- Orchestral Conducting Performance.
- Comprehensive written and oral examinations.
Remember, consult the University Graduate School's website for deadline dates and other important information.