When graduate students enter the University of Tennessee School of Music, they must take both a Music Theory and an Aural Skills diagnostic exam.
Music Theory Diagnostic Exam
The Music Theory Diagnostic Exam will be taken at UT on the day designated for Diagnostic Exams (usually the Monday before classes start).
The test consists of:
- Section 1: analyze and resolve chromatic chords; part-writing with chromatic chords/modulation
- Section 2: analyze chords in a short example
- Section 3: provide textbook versions of various forms; provide form for a short piece.
Test will be graded holistically and students will be given a grade of pass or fail. If a student passes the diagnostic exam, they may take their 500 level theory class. If they receive a failing grade, they must take MUTH 400: Grad Theory Review. MUTH 400 will be offered each fall semester.
- Kostka and Payne, Tonal Harmony.
- Piston, Harmony, Fourth Edition