The diagnostic examination in musicology consists of objective and essay questions covering all major style periods. A sample test will be sent to the student well in advance of the exam date.
- Bonds, Mark Evan. A History of Music in Western Culture, 2nd ed. Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2006.
- Crawford, Richard. An Introduction to America's Music. New York: Norton, 2001.
- Grout, Donald Jay, and Claude V. Palisca. A History of Western Music. 6th ed. New York: Norton, 2001.
- Shelemay, Kay Kaufman. Soundscapes: Exploring Music in a Changing World. New York: Norton, 2001.
- Stolba, K. Marie. The Development of Western Music: A History. 3rd ed. Boston, Mass.: McGraw Hill, 1998.
- Titon, Jeff Todd, ed. Worlds of Music: An Introduction to the Music of the World's Peoples. 4th ed. Belmont, Calif.: Schirmer/Thomson Learning, 2001.