This year marks the third year of the Viola Celebration Ensemble Competition. This event is meant to provide a fun opportunity for students to prepare and perform viola ensemble music with friends and studio mates in a positive, friendly competition. Viola Celebration attendees are not required to participate in the ensemble competition.
There are three categories: Pre-College Ensembles, Collegiate Ensembles and Un-Competition Ensembles. To enter, all members of an ensemble must be registered attendees of the Viola Celebration.Winners will be featured on the Viola Celebration Faculty Recital and have their names engraved on the Viola Celebration trophy. This is a traveling trophy; the winner in the Pre-College and Collegiate categories will host the trophy in their home studio until September 2018.
Any size of viola ensemble can enter. Only one person is allowed per part except for the Un-Competition Ensemble. Age requirements are based on each participant's age as of September 16, 2017 and must be verified by submitting proof of age (photocopy of driver’s license, passport, or birth certificate) with payment of fees.
- All ensemble members must be under the age of 19 and not yet graduated from high school.
- Ensemble participants can be older than 18. Ensembles may include younger ensemble members, but if any member is older than 19, the entire ensemble should register for this or the Un-Competition Ensemble category. There is no upper age limit at this time; however, please understand the competition is meant for students or recent graduates.
- Participants can be of any age and can have more than one person per part. Ensembles in this category are not eligible for prizes but will receive written comments from the judges. Ensembles in this category will only play in the preliminary round.
- Two contrasting works of approximately 10 minutes duration, total. Longer works can be prepared, but the judges will not hear the entire work. Multi-movement works are considered one piece; repertoire by two separate composers should be prepared. Participants should bring 3 copies of their scores to the audition, with accurate performance timings noted on the title page.
Pre-College & Un-competition ensembles:
- One work no longer than 10 minutes. Longer works can be prepared, but the judges will not hear the entire work. Multi-movement works are considered one piece; repertoire by two separate composers should be prepared. Participants should bring 3 copies of their score to the audition, with accurate performance timings noted on the title page.
Deadlines and Entry Requirements
To enter the Viola Celebration Ensemble competition each member of your ensemble must:
- Submit an online Viola Celebration registration form with your desire to participate in the competition and ensemble name indicated on that form.
- Mail your payment of registration fees to the Viola Celebration so that they are RECEIVED by September 1, 2017.
- If participating in a prize awarding category, each participant should submit proof of age (a photocopy of a driver’s license, passport or birth certificate) with payment.
- All ensembles will play a preliminary audition. The preliminary round will be held either the evening of Friday, September 15 or the morning of Saturday, September 16. Times will be confirmed by September 2.
- Each ensemble will receive 10 minutes of audition time. If prepared repertoire totals more than 10 minutes, the ensemble should be prepared to be stopped and asked to continue to their second piece at any time.
- Ensembles should provide three copies of their scores for jury members. Performance times of each piece should be indicated on the score.
- Written comments will be provided to all who perform in the preliminary round.
- Based on the preliminary round, up to 3 finalists in the Pre-College and Collegiate Ensemble categories will be selected to perform in the Competition finals which will be held on the morning of Saturday, September 16.
- Winners will be announced at the end of the All Viola Orchestra Rehearsal on Saturday, September 16.
Pre-College & Collegiate Divisions:
- $50 scholarship towards the 2018 Viola Celebration to each member of the winning groups.
- UT Viola Celebration Traveling Trophy, engraved with ensemble name & studio. The winning ensemble will retain the trophy through August, 2018.
- Performance on the Faculty Recital at 8 p.m. on Saturday, September 16.
- Written comments from judges and great personal satisfaction