Dates for undergraduate auditions can be found on the UT School of Music Auditions page. Click here for more information.
The undergraduate admission audition for the UT Percussion Studies area / UT School of Music requires a solo performance audition as well as a short interview with the percussion area faculty. Students should perform solo repertoire in at least three percussive areas (outlined below) and will sight-read on both 2-mallet keyboard and concert snare drum. Additionally, all students should have their 40 rudiments prepared for performance in slow-fast-slow format. While each individual will likely have areas of personal strength, the faculty would like to emphasis how important it is that students demonstrate abilities on a diversity of repertoire and instruments.
All equipment that auditioning students may need will be provided in the practice and audition rooms. Students who prefer to bring personal instruments are welcome to do so. Students should bring any sticks or mallets needed for the audition as well as original copies of the music they are performing.
Required Audition Areas (must do both)
- Keyboard Percussion Two solos on marimba, vibraphone, or xylophone. One selection should demonstrate 2-mallet proficiency while the other demonstrates 4-mallet ability using whichever grip / technique is most comfortable for the student.
- Snare Drum A concert snare drum solo/etude is required. An additional solo in a rudimental style is optional.
Choice Audition Areas (choose one or more)
- Timpani An etude or solo for two, three, or four drums. Excerpts from the standard orchestral repertoire would also be acceptable.
- Multiple Percussion An etude/solo on any combination of percussion instruments.
- Drum Set A prepared solo and/or improvisation in a variety of styles.
- World Percussion Instruments A prepared solo and/or improvisation in an area of your choice.
Auditions for all UT Large Ensembles and Percussion Ensembles
Audition information for non-major candidates who wish to participate in the “Pride of the Southland” Drumline is available on the UT Band website.
Placement in the concert ensembles and UT Percussion Ensemble will be determined through auditions that occur at the very beginning of each term. These auditions are open to all students regardless of their degree program.