Music Bibliography (Mus Gen 510, 3)
- Music Theory Elective (3)
- Introduction to Ethnomusicology (Musicology 590, 3)
- Musicology Electives (Musicology 400-500 levels, 9)
- Music Electives (7)
- Thesis (Mus Gen 500, 6)
- Ensemble (Mus Ens 500 level, 2)
- Comprehensive written and oral examinations
- Thesis defense
Language Reading Examination
Candidates must pass a foreign language reading proficiency examination as part of their program requirements. Any language other than English is acceptable.
Students who pass either the sequence of French 301 and French 302, or German 331 and German 332 fulfill the language requirement in lieu of the language exam, as per Graduate School policy. Graduate students do not receive graduate credit for these courses. The courses are open to all graduate students regardless of previous foreign language experience.
Further information, including deadlines to register for the exam, can be found at the Graduate School Student Information page, under “Doctoral Language Exam.”