Audition Requirements for entering Studio Music and Jazz Majors.
You MUST be in contact with School of Music admissions and complete a University of Tennessee application for admission prior to scheduling an audition time.
Live Audition Requirements
A live audition is expected prior to admission in the Jazz Studies program. (Consult the Level One Jazz Jury Repertoire List to find a list of beginner level jazz tunes that would be acceptable for the audition.) Students will be asked to perform the following:
- 2 prepared tunes from memory. At least one of these tunes should be performed with play-a-long accompaniment. Students should be prepared to play the melody and improvise for two or three choruses. Pianists and guitarists will be asked to comp for two additional choruses.
- Major scales covering the full range of your instrument.
- Sight reading. Horn players and drum set students may also be asked to sight read selections from big band charts.
- Piano, Guitar - Demonstrate all basic chords: major, minor, diminished and augmented (added 6th, 7th and 9th).
- Piano, Guitar - Sight read a simple chord progression.
- Bass - Walk at least two choruses of the Blues.
- Drums - Demonstrate time in swing, latin, funk/rock