As a member of the studio, the biggest indicators of its success that you would notice wouldn't be the impressive summer programs your fellow cellists are attending, the graduate schools UT alums go on to, or the jobs former UT cellists get when they finish here. The greatest signs of the successes in the studio you would experience as a student here are the daily and weekly milestones individuals in our studio reach, the mutual support within the studio and shared desire for the growth of all, and the consistent and smart practicing that is a trademark of students in my cello studio.
Part of what might initially attract you to the UT cello program, however, might be the many objective standards that indicate that this cello class at UT is one of the most elite collegiate cello programs in the country. We continue to raise the bar every year in our group, and are enjoying the journey together.
Those tangible yardsticks include these:
- Dr. Baldwin's cello students have gone on to continue their studies at some of the most renown instititutions in the world. These include the Universities of Michigan, Southern California, Georgia, and Maryland; the Boston Conservatory, the Hartt School, Florida State University, the Glenn Gould School of the Royal Conservatory of Music, and Oberlin Conservatory.
- Summer festivals that Dr. Baldwin's cello students have attended include the National Repertory Orchestra, the Roundtop Festival, the Texas Music Festival, The Quartet Program, Meadowmount, Bowdoin, Green Mountain, Sewanee, Bowdoin, Hot Springs, ARIA, and Wintergreen Festivals.
- Former members of the UT cello studio are now members of professional orchestras throughout the United States.
- UT cello students routinely win the University of Tennessee Concerto Competitions, as well as the UT Celebration of Excellence Competitions. Other recent competition prizes include recognition in the MAACO concerto competition, the Tennessee Cello Workshop competitions, and the La Grange Young artist competition.
- Former UT music education cello students have ALL found full time employment as music educators. They currently teach in S.C., GA, TN, VA, and TX.